*Some of the links in this post are chapter links, meaning, atno additional toll to you, I will earn a commission if you lot choose to make a purchase. I only recommend products or services I apply personally and believe volition add value to my readers.

When I started planning my new sewing studio, I envisioned an bright, open up, airy infinite that was well-organized and had a corking cutting table. To be honest, this is the same vision I had for my previous studio, which had everything except the perfect table. Since my new space was a piddling smaller and I needed information technology to be versatile, I knew I wanted a gateleg pattern tabular array.     The easiest matter to do would exist buy ane, but as usual, I'1000 likewise picky for my own expert. I wanted a tabular array with both course and office; it needed to look adept, exist continuing elevation, and have storage. Unfortunately, in that location weren't many options that fit the bill.    This gateleg table from Sullivan* ($143-$260) has an adjustable height, which is overnice, just it'south pretty blank bones and unattractive.  At just shy of 36″ wide, it's way too narrow, and at that place were complaints that it is very wobbly.   This craft tabular array at Crate and Barrel ($349)is a decent length, but with a height of less than 30″, it is better suited to sitting than standing.

This Martha Stewart craft table is the most bonny of the bunch, simply at $499 I'd actually want better storage than a few open shelves. Plus, at 31″, it's too low for my tastes, and 40″ is still too narrow.    In the end, I decided to tackle the projection myself. My woodworking skills are limited, but it seemed unproblematic enough. Of grade, it ended up being far more complex in the finish, with a few detours and redos, but I'grand thrilled with my new gateleg pattern table.

The table is 38″ alpine, which is a smidge tall (more on that after), but still a good standing desk height for me. It is 48″ wide, which is wide enough for standard textile widths, or wider fabrics if folded. Closed, information technology is a mere 18″ wide, which is peachy for keeping the room open and inviting when not existence used as a workroom. With two leaves, information technology can open to a length of up to 6 feet, which is perfect for larger projects. It'due south on casters, so it can quickly be moved around the room equally needed.

Gateleg pattern table - leaves down

Each cease is open and houses an Ikea 6-drawer unit of measurement for tool storage. One cease holds patternmaking supplies like pencils, paper scissors, my love can snips for cutting oak tag patterns*, pushpins, corset supplies, grommet setter, and other tools. The other cease holds sewing supplies, like my material scissors, chalk, Frixion pens*, basting thread, and special items like my favorite quilting pins* that I don't leave out for public use. 12 drawers seemed like likewise much, but somehow I managed to fill every one! In that location is likewise a shelf to hold long items, like my rulers and antiquarian irons that I use equally pattern weights.

Gateleg pattern table - leaf up

The meridian is 5/viii″ plywood covered in 1/2″ cork* so I can pivot patterns and fabrics directly to the table. Since I don't take a tabular array saw or a truck, I had Home Depot make the cuts for the plywood top and the beadboard siding when I bought it. The cuts weren't perfect, just they worked. Next time I'd desire to rent a table saw and then I could have more control over the cuts and the precision of the measurements.    Both the trim and the cork were stained with Watco Danish Oil*, in a mix of Red and Night Walnut. I broke up the boring expanse of brownish with a quatrefoil stencil and some Martha Stewart decor paint in Linen*. The table and legs are fitted with copper casters from Lowe's.    In the finish, I didn't save any coin, simply I got exactly the table I wanted. It's perfect for my studio aesthetic as well equally wonderfully functional. Information technology beats any of the fix to purchase options. A total list of supplies is below. Scroll past the supply list to see some construction photos.

Supplies for Gateleg Blueprint Tabular array:

  • Ikea drawer units, $78.00
  • Beadboard,  $21.97
  • Plywood,  $29.17
  • Stop form 2×2, $xviii.36
  • Cease grade 1×three, $17.66
  • Plain 1×iii, $xix.90
  • Lumber – i×2,  $2.47
  • Narrow moulding,  $ten.76
  • Wide moulding, $20.07
  • Edge tape,  $6.78
  • Plain hinges, $3.49
  • Curvy bronze hinges,  $6.54
  • Casters, $13.93
  • Screws, $four.97
  • Adhesive, $2.78
  • Cork, $88
  • Foam core, $25
  • Jig Kit for screw holes, $29.97
  • Paint, on manus
  • Brushes, $ii.42
    Grand total: $399.24

Structure Details:

The basic tabular array was framed out, leaving space to fit the Ikea drawer units I had purchased.

This pocket jig made the job so much easier, and became my new favorite tool.

The outside was covered in panels of beadboard. The gatelegs were constructed from 2×ii lumber and fitted with hinges and casters.

I originally ordered ane/2″ thick cork, only they shipped 3/8″. Instead of dealing with a return (plus, I was impatient to use my table), I went with it and used a layer of foam core underneath to create the added thickness. My favorite push pins are 1/two″ long, so I needed the depth before I hit the plywood of the top. To cover all the edges, I used maple veneer* that I then stained to lucifer the tabular array.

 I also stained the cork, which helped it blend with the table, simply took a LOT of stain.

The stencil adds the perfect decorative element and has the bonus of beingness a great product backdrop. I'm then glad I made that choice!

*Some of the links above are chapter links, pregnant, atno additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you choose to make a purchase. I simply recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add together value to my readers.